After giving up on finding financing ourselves, dealing with incompetent bank employees, and wasting time in waiting rooms… we contacted a type of broker.
ABSA (of all places – I left them because of repeated bad service) offered us a 90% loan, which was one of the fairest offers we got. But the broker lady suggeted we wait until all offers returned.
And then we got our ray of sunshine. Standard Bank is willing to give us a 100% loan! At a pretty decent rate. And they accept the bought-and-paid-for empty property as security for a full loan. Bliss! Local lawyers will contact us to come sign the agreement that they’re drafting. Super! No problemo! Right! Right?
More like Not-right-now. We would have signed the document today. But turns out it was set up as if Henk and I are married in community of property. *sigh* we’re not. We did the whole pre-nup/ante-nuptial thing outside community of property.
SO now the bank has to resubmit the request to the lawyers to draw up the contract yadda-yadda-yadda. It’ll take another week at least. Technically we can start building, cause the bank pays out an in 4 installments, the first of which only after the foundation is laid and I tink window sill height. But we’re not going to risk it. Rather wait for ALL the paperwork to be complete.
Here’s to wedded agreements!!